Thursday 26 January 2012

Plasticine Model of Character: Blue the Nymph

Progress Photos










Complete












 

Here are some sketches I drew based on the model:


Evaluation

Although not a single specific piece, a consistent aspect of Unit 4 that I have refined over the course of the unit is my character, Blue.  From the beginning Blue has been a key element to the overall development to my final piece, and indeed co-starring in the final piece itself.  The initial sketch of Blue put on my blog is arguably quite different from his design as seen in the final piece.  

After I first drew him for Unit 4, I realised that I wanted to distance his design from a "cookie-cutter" anime or manga character, particularly in the shape of his face, which I eagerly sought to make longer, thinner, with somewhat more defined cheekbones, and generally more unique and recognisable.  So I spent some time drawing and redrawing a simplified version of his face until I came up with a result I was happy with.  I still feel I had not quite achieved the look I had in mind at that point, but I was still pleased with what I had come up with. 

Although previously I had a general idea of what kind of clothes Blue wears, I feel I established a trademark outfit for him when I created the plasticine model of him.  This model also helped establish his facial structure and hairstyle both in my mind and in future drawings of him, as well as help me arrange the pose he would make in the final piece.  By and large it was the point where I felt I had truly achieved the face shape I strived to give him. 

Overall Blue has been both a constant component to the unit as well as the one that has developed the furthest.  I feel pleased with the progress I made on him in his look and feel happy with his current design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment