Sunday 29 January 2012

My Own Character Development Sketches

As the concept artists had for films such as "Brave", "the Incredibles" and "How to Train Your Dragon", I drew some sketches of character designs of characters that could star in the fictitious film I was planning to do concept art for. 

This here is Blue, a character of mine who has been evolving over a number of years, and I have decided to develop further in order to involve him in my work for Unit 4:


This is Ninty (who was drawn on notebook paper during one of my philosophy lessons):


I really wanted to have a specific kind of look to Blue's face shape.  It was surprisingly tough to give it the shape and look that I wanted.  Here are just a select few of the many experimentation doodles it took to eventually achieve the result I wanted (the simple, most abstract doodles in the picture below purposefully exaggerate the kind of look I wanted his face to have in an attempt to help me figure out how to draw what I wanted):


Eventually I managed to produce a look that I was happy with:






To practice character drawing and development, I drew a couple of (very) rough doodles of what my graphics teacher and myself might look like if we were to appear in an "American Elf" comic. Sir is there because he told me that he thought he would be a half-human, half-border collie, and that sounded entertaining to draw. 

I am an imp.

No comments:

Post a Comment